Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rachel's Challenge

I just got back from an assembly here at school. It's by a group called Rachel's Challenge. Rachel was the first student killed in the Columbine School Shooting, and she had a message of kindness and helping others. It was a really powerful assembly, and I hope lots of the students in attendance take the message to heart.

One piece of the challenge is to write down life goals. I've written here some goals for my 30s, which I do hope to achieve. As far as life goals, though, those are a bit tougher. As I've said before, I don't think I want to be a teacher forever, but I don't really know what else I would do. That is, other than stay at home mom. I want to retire at 55, but the current economic state indicates that might not happen for me. I want to have three children, who are close in age, but my husband does not.

I realize that goal setting is not about the buts, but at the same time, I try to be practical. I could certainly set a goal to be a world famous singer, but I have an awful singing voice (I guess there's always the William Hung method). I guess this is part of why life has been so dissatisfactory for me, but I can't just go ahead and get myself pregnant twice in the next five years.

If anyone has advice on how to reach my goals in a practical way, I am all ears.

No comments: