Friday, October 17, 2008

Stolen Prompt

This came up in my Google Reader, and I figured now was as good a time as any to write about something more focused.

Recall a time when you did something to get noticed. Write about it.

Well, if I'm being honest, I can recall lots of times when I've tried to get noticed. You'd think I was Jan Brady or something. But I can recall in my desire to be drum major, I would often do things to make myself noticed. I can remember one trip in high school in which my competition for the drum major position was showing the guy in charge of the selection all the photos in her wallet; her parents, brother, etc. I remember rolling my eyes and thinking that it was lame. I've always been the type who doesn't really keep photos in her wallet (if remembering to carry a wallet at all), but I do remember that I really wished that I had some at that time, despite thinking it was so dumb and obvious. I also remember in my first year of the UDMB, Katie, Karen, and I used to run around like weirdos.... I'm not sure why, but it was most definitely to get noticed.

Looking back, I feel like I've always had a sense that someone important was watching. Like I remember in high school at a nighttime thing on a band trip, we went to this thing where there was dancing, and feeling like someone who could make me famous was watching my *oh*so*cool*dancing*.

I guess it's kind of drilled into our heads, since so many models and actors are just "discovered" on the street somewhere, but that kind of thing just doesn't happen in Nowheresville, NJ.

See, I've had this for a long time--this desire to be something great when I'm really just typical.

No comments: