Friday, September 24, 2010

Balance

I'm highly confident that making myself happy means moving.  I want to move about 30-60 minutes southeast of where we now live, in the same state.  It never occurred to me, when we bought this house, that loving the house and loving the area in which the house rests are two very different things. 

My husband and I have talked about moving.  He's OFFERED for us to move.

Key to his happiness is his work.  My husband LOVES his work; he doesn't dread Mondays, gets up with vim and vigor, talks about his work, thinks about his work... all the indicators that someone is happy is what he is.

We are in a climate where it's not a great time to be a teacher in the state of NJ.  Finding a new job is difficult because so many have lost their jobs.  Finding the promotion my husband is desperate for is proving to be difficult too. 

The jobs are where we live now and farther north.  Moving 30 minutes away from here would mean his current job is 55 minutes away. 

So, how does one balance her own happiness with that of her husband?  Especially when what brings him happiness is what brings home the proverbial bacon?  It makes me so sad and frustrated to know that not only will we not be moving within two years, but that we also will probably not be moving ever.  (I've been called a black and white girl, that there are no shades of gray.  I don't know how true that is, but I do have a hard time seeing how things can change in this regard.)

No comments: