Monday, September 20, 2010

Passion

I know I used to be passionate. I had lots of things that brought me joy. Now, I feel like my life is so mundane, that every day is so much like the day before. I live for my family, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I'm reading a book called The Happiness Project, which I had first heard about in one of my womens' magazines. In her intro, the author writes, "I wasn't depressed and I wasn't having a midlife crisis, but I was suffering from midlife malaise--a recurrent sense of discontent and almost a feeling of disbelief. "Can this be me?" I'd wonder..."

I know this all comes from my lack of friends. I lament my/our lack of friends to my husband often, to which he replies that we have lots of friends. We're both right. See, our friends are ALL far away. I think our nearest friend lives 30 minutes away, which doesn't make hanging out especially easy. Combine this with everyone's lives being so damn busy, and we sit at home most weekend evenings.

So, what's the solution? I'm hoping Gretchen Rubin knows. I'm not done with her intro, but it sounds like she's so much like me that perhaps she has some hope for me. Maybe she can point me in the direction of finding some friends? Maybe even some friends with whom I can talk about things other than the kids? Maybe she can help me to find something to be passionate about, and maybe even how to have the energy to do something about it?

So, this is my goal--to read the book and to follow her advice. I'm going to read the book this week, and track my progress here.

Resources:

Women's Day Magazine Happiness Project
Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project Toolbox

No comments: